Monday, May 08, 2006

LIVE FROM PITTSBURGH!

This week I will be blogging from Pittsburgh Pa. I am a fill in host for Word Fm's afternoon talk show which will run from 3-6pm each day. I will also be on the air on my regular afternoon show from 2-3 on WVNE Worcester. So if you do the math I am talking each day for four hours! That is a lot of hot air, but as many of you know, that is a task I am up to. While sitting here in Pittsburgh, it occurs to me that Barry Bonds started his career in this city. This is the man who with his next home run will tie Babe Ruth for second place on the all time home run list. This normally would a feat to be celebrated, but as the world knows, Barry cheated! That is right , he cheated with the use of illegal steroids.

The question to consider is how does this taint, or does this taint the record, and if it does what should be done about it? Should the commissioner of baseball, Bud Selig, make a statement, require an asterisk next the achievement, or even ignore it all together? These are hard questions I am sure, but not so with ESPN. This sports network not only shows every at bat from Bonds these days, they also paid him somewhere around four million dollars to star in his own reality show. A sad comment on our day and age that a man with such a history of cheating, and that is not limited to his baseball life, is given such a platform, and an incredible amount of money. The sadder comment will be the number of people who will watch this show, and give credibility to anything Bonds has accomplished on the field!

blog you later,
pastor tom