Friday, August 10, 2007

IS YOUR THUMB iPHONE READY?

How far will we go in this world of ever advancing technology? When is it enough? When are the computers fast enough, the gadgets small enough, the internet accessible enough? Now I ask these questions as I write on a mac book, and am wearing a blackberry phone, so I am a fan and subscriber to technology. But the reason for the questions today is due to what Thomas Martel of Colorado has done. He had his thumbs surgically altered in a revolutionary new surgical technique known as "whittling." Here is his take on all of this, from the wires;

"From my old Treo, to my Blackberry, to this new iPhone, I had a hard time hitting the right buttons, and I always lost those little styluses," explains Martel. "Sure, the procedure was expensive, but when I think of all the time I save by being able to use modern handhelds so much faster, I really think the surgery will pay for itself in ten to fifteen years. And what it's saving me in frustration - that's priceless. "

While on the one hand (pun intended) we can admire the dedication of someone who is willing to go to such lengths to acheive a goal, it is a sad commentary on how imprisoned we can become to our worldly desires. We have now moved from plastic surgery for cosmetic reasons to plastic surgery to enhance our use of iPhones. It seems as if we can go to a doctor to have anything fixed or made better. What the doctors cannot fix or make any better is an unregenerate heart. That still and always will need the redeeming power of the Lord Jesus Christ. So while the world chases after its idols, let us be sure to take these opporunities to speak of those things that only He can make right!

blog you later,
pastor tom
www.engagingyourworld.com