Monday, December 17, 2007

DOES THIS STOP YOU?


Living in New England means that you have to deal with snow, a lot. And this past weekend was no different as the snow and sleet and freezing rain came down Saturday night into Sunday. This presents a dilemma for many churches as they seek to decide what is best, have church with very few people, or cancel and have people stay home. In my over fourteen years as Senior Pastor of my present church I have never canceled church. While I do not want this to be taken as a criticism of churches that do cancel or people that decide to stay home, I need to share my reasoning.

For me to cancel church would be a slap in the face of my brothers and sisters around the world, and an insult to my God. Every time the subject comes up due to an impending storm, all I can think of are my brothers and sisters who week after week risk it all to go to church. People who literally have given their lives because they wanted to go to church. Families who will walk miles to go to church. Others who meet in an underground church. Then there are all of our brothers and sisters who are imprisoned and beaten and being killed for being found at a Bible believing church. Today as you read this there are families without husbands and fathers because they preached the Word of God. When the price and cost to attend church is so high around the world. When so many of the body of Christ willingly and with joy pay that price every week, I cannot with good conscience in front of my God cancel church because the weather is going to be bad.

In my mind if it costs a little more to go to church in bad weather, then praise God we are getting to understand a very tiny bit of the rest of our family in Christ. If there is some danger due to weather, to get to church, praise God that He has counted us worthy to endure danger to get to church that week. Again I do not seek to condemn or criticize others, but as for me and my house we will go to church, and we will conduct church every week, regardless of what the weather will be. It is the least we can do to honor our God and pay tribute to our persecuted brothers and sisters!

blog you later,
pastor tom
www.engagingyourworld.com